Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Midomi


Midomi is like the chicken that eats your earworms. When you have an unknown song stuck in your head, you can sing or hum into your microphone, and Midomi does an audio search for you.

The downside is that it's kind of user-powered, meaning that other people have to upload audio files of themselves murdering your favorite songs for the site to work. The more content Midomi has, the more accurate the search engine gets.

So far I got it to find "I Got You Under My Skin" and "Sleigh Ride." Apparently, those two ditties sound an awful lot like Chinese Pop tunes, which make up half the Midomi database.

It's really exciting because while we have great text-search through the likes of Google, and okay image search, this the first audio search available on the interwebs. (I'll pass on the olfactory search... Or the tactile search... I digress.) So it's the first, and understandably leaves some to be desired. As I see it, I wouldn't jump on today's freeways with a Model T Ford, but I'm glad it was built and tested.

Overall... C+ Internets.

No comments: