Monday, January 12, 2009

Tin Eye

Tin Eye is, "a reverse image search engine. You can submit an image to TinEye to find out where it came from, how it is being used, if modified versions of the image exist, or to find higher resolution versions."

I like a source-search engine. Which would be cool if they did this for text... but in addition, the engine spit out the results already integrated into your term paper. With a bibliography in MLA format. Or Chicago style. I'm not picky.

I digress.  TinEye (which I totally mis-read as Tiny Eye for the first 20 times) was created by Idée Inc. 

When I tried it using my very un-scientific random method, Tiny Eye correctly sourced one picture to PerezHilton.com, but failed to source the Disaster Girl picture to the now-defunct JPG magazine. Instead it pointed to Ebaum's World and Zoomr.

They also require registration to do this, which is über annoying, so I'm going to go ahead and help you out. For reals. Silly start-up, search engines don't have log-ins!

So B+ for effort, bumped down to B- for requiring a log-in.

(From Kottke )

1 comment:

2009: The Year of the Ox said...

JPG magazine is staying alive! They sent me an e-mail!

~relsio