Sunday, March 29, 2009

A.J. Jacobs: My year of living biblically

Welcome to TED Sundays. I think I'll make this a regular thing for a bit. //

A.J. Jacobs: My year of living biblically is a TED talk by A. J. Jacobs, a writer for Esquire magazine. He approaches his articles in a sort of method-actor manner, but for writers. He likes to dive right into the research. 

So A. J. spent a year trying to take the Bible literally, and following over 700 rules from all the Bibles he could gather.  Mainly the catalyst for this was that A. J. was concerned about the rise of religious fundamentalism in America.  

It's a charming tale of him being fruitful and multiplying, not shaving and getting stuck at airport security, and failing to properly stone people. 

I knew this topic would be a win when he introduced himself as such: "I'm Jewish in the same way The Olive Garden is Italian: not very." Win. 

(From my iPod)

2 comments:

Tree Wizard said...

I saw his book in a bookstore one day and I knew I had to read it. I bought it used for $5 on Amazon because I wasn't going to pay $25 at a book store for it, only to read it once, but it was worth that $25 that I didn't pay. It was really funny. I'm not into all of that religious crap, but it gave me a different perspective on it at least.

Guy Danus said...

interesting, but i didnt like his final message.

be careful of that pancreas fat!!