Sunday, December 21, 2008

Anya Marina Video "Move You"











I don't normally do this... but I'm enjoying my first day of vacation, and it's my blog, and I can post non-internetty things if I feel like, gosh darn it.

Anya Marina is a recording artist from San Diego, and former DJ on 94.9 FM.

Back when I lived in San Diego, I was driving home from a party (late at night) and one of Anya's fellow DJs sneakily put on her song "Miss Halfway."  I literally pulled over to hear it, not really caring whether or not the neighborhood was shady.  It was that awesome. 

I got home and immediately googled it (very frustrating--I found almost nothing about the song).  Since then, the song has made it onto the Grey's Anatomy soundtrack, Anya has toured a bunch and I've ground the eponymously named album to the ground on my CD player. "Clean and Sober" is still my favorite song from that. :)

Anya is (FINALLY) releasing a new album this January, "Slow and Steady Seduction, Part II".  Rolling Stone reviewed it:

"Anya Marina's childlike voice doesn't jibe with her randy album title. But that doesn't stop the San Diego singer from growling come-ons on "Afterparty at Jimmy's" ("You got soul onstage, boy/How about soul in the sack?") or purring like Jessica Rabbit on the cabaret-style "All the Same to Me." She dials it back on "Vertigo," a sweet ode to a dizzying dude. With blippy drum loops, it sounds like a play date with a Casio — proof that Marina still has G-rated fun."

So yeah. New album + new Video "Move You" = I couldn't be more stoked.

I found it today on the Interwebs, and it made me happy. My favorite version of that song is not the one in the video, but rather has a distorted tag at the end where she goes, "You're so loud, you're so loud to me." I can't find a link to it right now, but anyway, I think it's funny she stuffs a guy in the suitcase at the end of the video and I hope she makes it huge!

PS: (More on hype machine, last.fm, Rhapsody, and Myspace.) 

3 comments:

Mrs. Z said...

Wow, she's amazing! Thanks for pointing her out. I love her voice.

Scumbag Sam said...

Wow, I love this, thanks for sharing!

Cam said...

She's featured in this month's issue of Spin magazine and I did an immediate word association to you when I saw the page.