Saturday, November 8, 2008

Erin McKean: Redefining the dictionary

Erin McKean: Redefining the dictionary is a TED talk where lexicographer Erin McKean talks about how the paper dictionary is sooooo passé and needs a revamp. Basically she says it's too small, and we should have an inclusive dictionary that records, scientifically, the entire English language.

I know, that sounds as fun as re-filing books. But trust me, it's one of the better ways to waste 16 minutes. What's fun about her talk are the carefully chosen pictures she picked to illustrate her metaphors (and boy are there many metaphors). And they have no qualms about mixing! So try buckle your seatbelt and follow this quirky lady on her bumpy Steam-punk metaphor ride.

I always say that mixed metaphors are like a tranwreck in a sea of trouble; I guess the corollary is they do look pretty when illustrated.

(From Stef, Guy, Joshua)

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

I feel so honored to have my name up on TOTI! My ultimate goal will be to have my own interwebs creation be featured one day.